Killer rhubarb

by Brad

killer rhubarb

So I just read today that rhubarb leaves have toxic levels of oxalic acid. What are some of the symptoms of oxalic acid poisoning? Well: loss of muscular strength, burning in the mouth, death from cardiovascular collapse; on the respiratory system – difficulty breathing; on the eyes, ears, nose, and throat – burning in the throat; one the gastrointestinal system – abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea; and on the nervous system – convulsions, coma and death. Ha ha. Who’d of thought?

Ok, so it’s not like there’s tons of oxalic acid in rhubarb leaves. You’d have to eat about 11 pounds of them to get a toxic dose. But just a fraction of that is enough to cause general sickness. So next time you’re whipping up a rhubarb pie, be sure to trim the leaves, throw them in the trash and make sure your kids or pets don’t go for them.

About the author...

 discovered the benefits of natural food when he watched a loved one go from poor health to full well-being after adapting a clean food diet. Such an event opened his eyes to the power of clean foods and fueled his motivation to help others eat the best way possible for their body.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *