Kale is all the rage these days, and for good reason. Kale’s nutrient offering qualifies for the title of superfood, while at the same time it has very few calories. Throw in some butternut squash, nature’s gift to winter, and you’ve got an amazingly delicious and nutricious meal. Another reason this salad is great is because it can provide several leftover meals as well. It stays good as new for up to three days in the fridge.
Butternut Squash and Kale Salad (V,GF)
- 2 Bunches of kale
- 1 Cup vegetable broth, divided
- 1 Medium butternut squash
- 1 Red onion, sliced
- 4 Dates, pitted and finely sliced
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- Feel free to add in any tasty favorites – chickpeas, black beans, pecans, pomegranate seeds, goji berries…whatever suits your fancy.
- Trim the tough stems from the kale and slice the leaves into 1-inch strips.
- Peel and seed the squash and cut into ½-inch cubes.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add ½ cup broth and kale and cover. Stir often and cook until kale is wilted. About 3 minutes.
- Add squash and cook until tender but not mushy. About 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, add remaining broth, onion, dates, and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered until onion is very tender. About 5-7 minutes.
- Cool slightly then toss with kale and butternut and add any additional ingredients you’re using.
- Dig in!